Community pot of leaves - this time I filled the sma;; pots I was transplanting into with a mixture of two parts African Violet SOil and one part perlite. I feel they might sucj up water form the bottom this way better. Not sure.  Made the mixtur ein advance and wetted the soil in advance as well.

Community pot of leaves – this time I filled the small pots I was transplanting into with a mixture of two parts African Violet SOil and one part perlite. I feel they might suck up water form the bottom this way better. Not sure. Made the mixture in  advance and wetted the soil in advance as well.

June  13, 2013 – Frozen in Time – nice name – wish I knew if what I was doing is right. Advice welcome.

With this my first experience in starting African Violets from leaves I know I’m making mistakes and I already have plans to change how I do the next batch. But the part that is really stumping me is dividing the babies – plucking them from the leaves so that each new plant has some roots.

Hell – I’m only guessing that I’m dividing them up correctly. I seem to be getting about six plants to a leaf which seems like a lot – but maybe that’s because I accept stuff others would throw out.  I know that at this rate it won’t be long before I’ll have to get more selective.

My first batch of babies – now three or four weeks beyond the dividing stage – really look pretty healthy to me. But I’ll feel better when more are done.  The batch I did this evening(6/13/2013) are from a plant called “Frozen in Time” from Lyons. It has an intriguing white flower with a touch of green in it.  It also  has variegated foliage and the baby leaves have more white than green – although I have some other babies from another plant where there is not a bit of green showing. That worries me, but I’ll let those go a while before I divide them.

With this plant the dividing got a just a tad easier. These were started March 13, so they are right at the three month stage and that might have something to do with it – maybe I did the others too soon – then again, maybe I’m just learning how to pull them apart. I am choosing which to divide by the size of the babies – not by the age. Here’s the story in pictures

The two Leaves of "Frozen inTime" seem linked together in this photo, but in the next photo you can see one had nearly all the babies. Haven't a clue why.

The two Leaves of “Frozen in Time” seem linked together in this photo, but in the next photo you can see one had nearly all the babies. Haven’t a clue why.

Having removed one leaf and babies you can see the one remaining has just one baby associate with it, so I'll leave it to see if more develop.

Having removed one leaf and babies you can see the one remaining has just one baby associate with it, so I’ll leave it to see if more develop.

As this an the next photo show, you have half a dozen babies clumped together and I guess separating them is an art form I am barely beginning to understand? Or maybe it doesn't matter that much. Results will tell over time.

As this an the next photo show, you have half a dozen babies clumped together and I guess separating them is an art form I am barely beginning to understand? Or maybe it doesn’t matter that much. Results will tell over time.

IMG_0099

Five little plants with a very questionable sixth one above the pile of dirt. It's hard to throw live plants away, so I plant the sixth one as well as the others.

Five little plants with a very questionable sixth one above the pile of dirt. It’s hard to throw live plants away, so I plant the sixth one as well as the others.

Here are the results. I planted the leaf again as well, though it's stem was only about half an inch. I cut it in half to see if that has anything to do with performance.

Here are the results. I planted the leaf again as well, though it’s stem was only about half an inch. I cut it in half to see if that has anything to do with performance.

Advertisements